We carry the saving cross through the roads of the world.
Through the alleys of poverty and misery.
Marching to a dawning day to freedom and victory,
To God’s life and endless glory.
PRAYER BEFORE EACH STATION:
We adore You, O Christ, and bless You.
Because by Your holy cross You have redeemed the world.
As they went out, they came upon a man of Cyrene, Simon by name; this man they compelled to carry his cross. (Matthew. 27:32)
(IN SOLIDARITY WITH THE SUFFERING CHURCH OF AFRICA)
From this chance encounter, faith was born. The Cyrenian, walking beside Jesus and sharing the burden of the Cross, came to see that it was a grace to be able to accompany him to his crucifixion and to help him. The mystery of Jesus, silent and suffering, touched his heart. Jesus, whose divine love alone can redeem all humanity, wants us to share his Cross so that we can complete what is still lacking in his suffering (cf. Col 1:24). Whenever we show kindness to the suffering, the persecuted and defenceless, and share in their sufferings, we help to carry that same Cross of Jesus. In this way we obtain salvation, and help contribute to the salvation of the world.
The sufferings of Jesus continue still in the people of today in the country of Mozambique. The struggle for power has brought “warfare” leaving many dead and refugees in the central zone of the country.
The Mozambican state is in debt as a result of corruption at the highest levels. Now this debt is having to be repaid in the form of welfare cuts and rapid price rises in basic food staples making life still more difficult for those families already suffering precarious economic conditions. Young people have very few prospects for the future, children do not go to school, mothers are separated from their families because they have to find a way to feed their children. The capacity of the people to endure suffering is almost limitless. Yet who can help, who can alleviate, who can find a solution for this situation? Like Simon of Cyrene, the Church in Mozambique, represented by its bishops, has on many occasions raised its voice to denounce the situations of injustice in the country.
Lord Jesus, you accepted the help of Simon of Cyrene on your Way of the Cross. Please bless and strengthen all those who seek selflessly to help others in their physical or spiritual suffering and all those who devote their lives, their time and their energies in the service of their fellow men. We ask this of you, who live and reign with the Father in the unity of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Our Father… Hail Mary… Glory be…
Sister Duvita Pahino & Excerpts from the Stations of the Cross of the Catholic News Agency
- First Station: JESUS IS CONDEMNED TO DEATH
- Second Station: JESUS CARRIES HIS CROSS
- Third Station: JESUS FALLS FOR THE FIRST TIME
- Fourth Station: JESUS MEETS HIS AFFLICTED MOTHER
- Fifth Station: SIMON OF CYRENE HELPS JESUS TO CARRY THE CROSS
- Sixth Station: VERONICA WIPES THE FACE OF JESUS
- Seventh Station: JESUS FALLS FOR THE SECOND TIME
- Eight Station: JESUS SPEAKS TO THE WOMEN OF JERUSALEM
- Ninth Station: JESUS FALLS FOR THE THIRD TIME
- Tenth Station: JESUS CLOTHES ARE TAKEN AWAY
- Eleventh Station: JESUS IS NAILED TO THE CROSS
- Twelfth Station: JESUS DIES ON THE CROSS
- Thirteenth Station: THE BODY OF JESUS IS TAKEN DOWN FROM THE CROSS
- Fourteenth Station: JESUS IS LAID IN THE TOMB