We carry the saving cross through the roads of the world.
Through the alleys of poverty and misery.
Marching to a dawning day to freedom and victory,
To God’s life and endless glory.
PRAYER BEFORE EACH STATION:
We adore You, O Christ, and bless You.
Because by Your holy cross You have redeemed the world.
And over his head they put the charge against him, which read, “This is Jesus the King of the Jews”. Then two robbers were crucified with him, one on the right hand and one on the left. And those who passed by derided him, wagging their heads and saying, “You who would destroy the temple and build it in three days, save yourself! If you are the Son of God, come down from the Cross”. So also the chief priests with the scribes and elders mocked him, saying, “He saved others; he cannot save himself. He is the King of Israel; let him come down now from the Cross and we will believe in him.” (Matthew 27:37-42)
(IN SOLIDARITY WITH THE SUFFERING CHURCH OF AFRICA)
Consider how the gruesome nailing of Jesus to the cross is still happening at various Golgothas around the world. In northern Nigeria, the Golgotha hill is fast expanding:
From the Chibok village of the abducted young and innocent schoolgirls some of whom are still in captivity, to Kafanchan and its Jema’a area, the bodies of Christians, stripped and charred like burnt offerings, litter the ground. It is a vast Calvary hill where the hammers are repeatedly pounding on the sharpened nails, tacking the Mystical Body of Christ to the wood of the Cross and the sword of jihad piercing their sides. Then, consider the volume of the heartbroken lamentation of Mother Mary, now swelled by the sobbing of innumerable ‘Marys’ who are also mourning the fruit of their wombs.
It is a never-ending Day of crucifixion. And, God weeps.
You foretold of the time when believers in your name will be persecuted in the name of a god. We testify to the truth of your warning. But we also bear testimony that your word is eternal life. Grant to your Church on earth, the grace to keep in mind the mystery of the ‘Empty Tomb.’ That as Christians partake of the cup of your Passion and Death, they may also be sharers in your resurrection to eternal bliss. By your grace, Lord Jesus, may the blood of our modern day martyrs renew and strengthen the faith of the pilgrim Church on earth. And may those who persecute the Church come to the knowledge that you, Lord Jesus, are the Way, the Truth, and the Life.
Our Father… Hail Mary… Glory be…
Padre Isu Saliu
Photo Credit: Internet
- First Station: JESUS IS CONDEMNED TO DEATH
- Second Station: JESUS CARRIES HIS CROSS
- Third Station: JESUS FALLS FOR THE FIRST TIME
- Fourth Station: JESUS MEETS HIS AFFLICTED MOTHER
- Fifth Station: SIMON OF CYRENE HELPS JESUS TO CARRY THE CROSS
- Sixth Station: VERONICA WIPES THE FACE OF JESUS
- Seventh Station: JESUS FALLS FOR THE SECOND TIME
- Eight Station: JESUS SPEAKS TO THE WOMEN OF JERUSALEM
- Ninth Station: JESUS FALLS FOR THE THIRD TIME
- Tenth Station: JESUS’ CLOTHES ARE TAKEN AWAY
- Eleventh Station: JESUS IS NAILED TO THE CROSS
- Twelfth Station: JESUS DIES ON THE CROSS
- Thirteenth Station: THE BODY OF JESUS IS TAKEN DOWN FROM THE CROSS
- Fourteenth Station: JESUS IS LAID IN THE TOMB