We carry the saving cross through the roads of the world.
Through the alleys of poverty and misery.
Marching to a dawning day to freedom and victory,
To God’s life and endless glory.
PRAYER BEFORE EACH STATION:
We adore You, O Christ, and bless You.
Because by Your holy cross You have redeemed the world.
Pilate said to them, “Then what should I do with Jesus who is called the Messiah?” All of them said, “Let him be crucified!” Then he asked, “Why, what evil has he done?” But they shouted all the more, “Let him be crucified!” So he released Barabbas for them; and after flogging Jesus, he handed him over to be crucified. (Matthew 27:22-23,26)
(IN SOLIDARITY WITH THE SUFFERING CHURCH OF AFRICA)
It was as though we were all condemned to death. The Ebola virus arrived suddenly and without warning. They would not let us leave because of the danger of infection that was all around us. “Let nobody leave, whoever does leave will not return again.” Children were weeping in their homes, with no one to console them, because their parents have died and no one was allowed to enter their home because of the outbreak. It was an invisible executioner, sentencing to death everyone it meets. People did not talk to one another, did not touch one another; we couldn’t even give the sign of peace during Holy Mass. Ebola was a death sentence to our people.
Jesus, how you must have felt alone and abandoned when you were condemned! You were sentenced to death without doing any wrong like many victims of diseases and epidemics. Lord, help those who suffer from life-threatening illnesses to discover a Christian meaning to their suffering, which is sometimes a long via crucis of pain and loneliness. Let them know, Lord Jesus, that, united to your Via Crucis, they can redeem the world together with you.
Our Father… Hail Mary… Glory be…
Adapted. Original text by Fr. Maurizio Boa & Maria Lozano
- First Station: JESUS IS CONDEMNED TO DEATH
- Second Station: JESUS CARRIES HIS CROSS
- Third Station: JESUS FALLS FOR THE FIRST TIME
- Fourth Station: JESUS MEETS HIS AFFLICTED MOTHER
- Fifth Station: SIMON OF CYRENE HELPS JESUS TO CARRY THE CROSS
- Sixth Station: VERONICA WIPES THE FACE OF JESUS
- Seventh Station: JESUS FALLS FOR THE SECOND TIME
- Eight Station: JESUS SPEAKS TO THE WOMEN OF JERUSALEM
- Ninth Station: JESUS FALLS FOR THE THIRD TIME
- Tenth Station: JESUS CLOTHES ARE TAKEN AWAY
- Eleventh Station: JESUS IS NAILED TO THE CROSS
- Twelfth Station: JESUS DIES ON THE CROSS
- Thirteenth Station: THE BODY OF JESUS IS TAKEN DOWN FROM THE CROSS
- Fourteenth Station: JESUS IS LAID IN THE TOMB