We carry the saving cross through the roads of the world.
Through the alleys of poverty and misery.
Marching to a dawning day to freedom and victory,
To God’s life and endless glory.
PRAYER BEFORE EACH STATION:
We adore You, O Christ, and bless You.
Because by Your holy cross You have redeemed the world.
He had no form or comeliness that we should look at him, and no beauty that we should desire him. He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. (Isaiah. 53:2-3)
(IN SOLIDARITY WITH THE SUFFERING CHURCH OF AFRICA)
We contemplate the suffering of Jesus when a holy woman named Veronica, seeing him bathed in sweat and blood, wipes his face and the impression of his face is left on the cloth.
Lord Jesus, we see the impression of your suffering face on the faces of our suffering brothers and sisters in South Sudan as we follow you along the Way of the Cross. Those innocently killed in the war conflict, those wounded in body and soul, those hungry and displaced, those full of fear and desperation – all reflect your suffering face.
May our eyes not be blind, O Lord! Let us see your Face.
Let us see Your face in all people who revive your passion in their own suffering. Fill us with compassion so we can comfort them with real, concrete, specific deeds. Fill us with faith to trust that evil and suffering are not the final words; rather Your resurrected semblance will come to meet us.
Our Father… Hail Mary… Glory be…
Sister Alice Paulino Legge
- First Station: JESUS IS CONDEMNED TO DEATH
- Second Station: JESUS CARRIES HIS CROSS
- Third Station: JESUS FALLS FOR THE FIRST TIME
- Fourth Station: JESUS MEETS HIS AFFLICTED MOTHER
- Fifth Station: SIMON OF CYRENE HELPS JESUS TO CARRY THE CROSS
- Sixth Station: VERONICA WIPES THE FACE OF JESUS
- Seventh Station: JESUS FALLS FOR THE SECOND TIME
- Eight Station: JESUS SPEAKS TO THE WOMEN OF JERUSALEM
- Ninth Station: JESUS FALLS FOR THE THIRD TIME
- Tenth Station: JESUS CLOTHES ARE TAKEN AWAY
- Eleventh Station: JESUS IS NAILED TO THE CROSS
- Twelfth Station: JESUS DIES ON THE CROSS
- Thirteenth Station: THE BODY OF JESUS IS TAKEN DOWN FROM THE CROSS
- Fourteenth Station: JESUS IS LAID IN THE TOMB